Sunday, 8 September 2013

Book review - Ros Badger "hook, yarn and crochet"

A few weeks ago, I heard a dull thump on the carpet as the postman delivered my review copy of Ros Badger's latest book, "hook, yarn and crochet". How exciting!! As soon as I saw this quirky little book I fell in love with it.
  

Crochet is increasingly popular at the moment and my learn to crochet classes are always full. My students amaze me with their enthusiasm to make something pretty from just a hook and a ball of yarn. I can see that I'll be recommending this book to them as it contains 20 simple and very cute projects that suit all abilities, from new crocheters to the more experienced, like myself.
 
To be honest, this book is right up my street as I loves quick and whimsical projects that can be whipped up in no time at all.
 
The book is styled beautifully and projects range from accessories and homewares to gifts and decorations. On my to-do list are the tea light covers, storage bowl, wrist warmers, jute shopper, scarf and star garland. These will make perfect Christmas presents for friends and family and I can't wait to get started. The jute shopper and star garland are my absolute favourites.
 


 
 
The introductory chapters take you step-by-step through the basics of crochet, showing you everything you need to know in order to make the projects in the book, including how to hold the hook and yarn, how to make a slip knot, foundation chain, basic stitches, shaping, tension guide and finishing off. The accompanying image guides demonstrate the various stages using a large hook and chunky yarn so everything's really clear. Perfect for those just about to embark upon new crochet adventures. But be warned - crochet is addictive and before you know it you'll have an ever-growing yarn stash and a list of projects that you just can't do without.
 
So if you love to crochet pretty, contemporary projects for yourself, your friends and your family, then this book is perfect for you. I'd definitely recommend it and I'm off to find some pretty yarns to make a start on my star garland.
 
You can have a look inside the book here on amazon and I think it's great value at just over £9.00.
 
Happy Crocheting xxxx

Quadrille Publishing kindly sent the review copy, and all of the comments above are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review Lynne. I've been eyeing this book up and think I may have to cave and just get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely a great book and has some great ideas for Christmas presents - if you get it now you can make an early start lol x

    ReplyDelete