Tuesday, 12 March 2013

Simply Crochet Issue 3 Review

We don’t really go over the top” on Mother’s Day  – just a token of appreciated is all that’s required here, so image my absolute delight when I received issue 3 of Simply Crochet along with a subscription. Now I have something lovely to look forward to each month and won’t miss a single issue.
 
Despite my New Year’s Resolution of not buying magazines, I have to admit I’ve reverted to buying two mags – Simply Crochet, and Inside Crochet. I love them both equally. They’re both stylish, feminine and contemporary; perfect for the modern crocheter. So my magazine pile is continuing to grow at a rapid pace, as I still subscribe to Mollie Makes and also receive contributor’s copies of magazines that I design for.
 
Just in case you’ve missed out on Simply Crochet, or have been thinking about a subscription, then here’s my independent and honest review of issue 3, which may help you decide. I’ll review Inside Crochet separately as soon as I’ve bought the latest issue.
 
Simply Crochet, issue 3:
Things I like:
  • The first thing that made me smile was the free cat tape measure – it's so cute and practical too. It’s come in handy already, measuring my latest crochet design. My son loves it too and keeps fiddling with it – so I just hope it’s boy proof.
  • The front cover is simple and stylish, not too fussy and shows off a couple of projects – bunting, a cute little chick, a granny square scarf and a summery bolero; just enough to draw you in.
  • The photography, styling and layout are similar to Mollie Makes, another one of my favourite mags, so if you love Mollie Makes and you can crochet, then you’re bound to love Simply Crochet too.
  • But my absolute favourite find is this David Bowie Paper Dress Up Doll – I did a little squee when I saw this. He’s my all-time music hero and I really must buy one!!!
Patterns:

  • Amongst the 40 patterns, there are pretty and practical designs for your bathroom, a beautiful bolero, a gorgeous floral granny blanket and the cutest little chick and eggs – perfect for Easter.
  • Jane Crowfoot shares some great advice for new crocheters along with some colourful Easter egg designs and Carol Meldrum has designed a fabulous zigzag cowl and skirt that can be worn as either.
  • There’s an introduction to beading, supported by a beaded wrist band that would suit any occasion and a pair of cute bootees that would make a perfect gift for a new baby.
  • Carol Meldrum’s egg basket is rustic and unique and her pretty pebble covers would make a great doorstop for your home or beach hut.
  • There are 6 inventive patterns for a triangle, including bunting, cushions, bows and a necklace and a bold throw/blanket by Nicki Trench.
  • Not to forget a granny square scarf, a chevron belt and a children’s mobile.
  • In addition, there are pages of ideas, inspiration, websites, blogs to follow, event and lots of other lovely stuff. It’s a magazine that you can pick up for the tenth time and still find something ‘new’ that you haven’t noticed before.

What I didn’t like:
Unfortunately I didn’t find anything that I objected to or didn’t like, so it’s difficult for me to add something here. There are quite a few adverts for other Future Mags but that’s understandable really and it’s balanced well with discount offers for mags and yarns.
 
What will I make?
On my list are the bathroom makes, the Easter eggs, the ZigZag cowl and skirt and the pretty pebble covers.
 
Value for Money:
In my opinion it’s great value for money, especially if you take out a subscription which makes it cheaper than the cover price of £4.99. It’s a mag you can peruse over and over again without getting bored.
 
Next month’s issue looks equally as promising and I can’t wait until it pops through the letterbox.
 

2 comments:

  1. hi lynne, what a lovely thoughtful gift, Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, although I did make a few hints here and there. Hope you're well x

    ReplyDelete