Thursday, 9 February 2012

Sketching

I've been flat out over the last few weeks with commissions and advisory work. It's been cRaZy, and I've had to use my planning and scheduling skills to their best abilities to make sure I get everything finished and posted on time. I've been pleased with my desiging skills and I can see how these have improved draMaTiCally over the past year. One of my new year's resolutions is to make sure every project has the 'wOw' factor. I need to look at it and think - 'wow, that's nice', or 'wow, that's pretty' and I'll be hoping other people think the same when they see my projects in magazines. I hope readers are inspired to make them.

The magazine editors have been pleased with my work so far, which is great, and usually leads to more work - even better.  I can't share my projects as they're 'secret' until published, but I can post a picture of these little CuTiEs, as they're made from the Ami Ami Dogs books. They're so realistic and cleverly designed. They're quite fiddly to make, especially the legs, which are crocheted over just 5 or 6 stitches in the round. This made my hands ache. I've made about 6 so far, and you should be seeing them on your TV screens in the not too distant future. How eXciTinG.

One thing I need to get better at is putting my design ideas into a good proposal. Some magazines are quite specific in what they require, whilst other ask for proposals - a submission of your idea, with a description, inspiration, yarn requirements, a sketch and a swatch. And that's where I fall down - my sketching skills are pretty basic - I'm certainly no great artist. However, I recently gave it my best shot and plucked up the courage to include sketches in my last two design proposals. So it's a case of fingers crossed until the decisions are made. In the meantime, I think I'll practice more sketching of my ideas and hopefully improve these skills for the future. Practice makes PeRfeCt.

I have a little window of opportunity to write up a little idea for a FreE pattern that's been developing in my head. So I'll give the bathroom a quick clean, get ready then give my idea a whirl. I'll write it up asap as it would make a nice valentine's gift or decoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment