Sunday, 1 August 2010

Bird Swap

For those of you from folksy, you'll probably know by now that Noodlebubble organises great swaps - from ribbons and buttons, to birds. I'm always apprehensive about swaps. Lots of "what if" questions run around my head - what if my work isn't good enough - what if I receive something far nicer than I've sent - what if I receive something I don't like much - what if I don't have enough time to make someting before the cut off date?

I signed up to the bird swap regardless - it seemed so appealing. Plus, I already had something in mind that I'd been wanting to crochet for a while - a free bird pattern from another crafter. However, when I looked at the pattern and thought about it more carefully, I decided against it. The problem was, what do I make now?

I'd borrowed a book from my local library and in it was a little bird crochet square. It looked so cute, so I gave it a try in my new sirdar calico yarns that I'd recently bought. My little chick square turned out really well. Then I had an idea to crochet a book cover and sew the little chick square onto the front as a pocket. Off I went into my stash room and emerged with some cotton yarn, albeit a bit thick for my book cover, but I decided to go for it.

I was happy with my end result, although it wasn't perfect. Luckily, I'd made my swap gift far in advance of the deadline (so unlike me) as out of the blue I receive another request from Let's Get Crafting Crochet Magazine for a pattern for their christmas edition. How exciting. The following week was taken up with trying new ideas, then writing up my pattern.

The posting day came for my bird swap item, and I weighed it - eek it was almost 500g, not quite, which meant I had to leave out the choccy chick lollipop (sorry Leane - it's all gone now!!) and a little knitted love heart. Otherwise the postage was quite ridiculous.

Anyway - Leanne seems to love my birdy book cover and has written a lovely blog post about it here. It made me feel great to read it. Plus, she has taken some great photos, which I had forgotten to do. So nip over to Leannes blog and read all about it......

Leanne's blog - see the woods and the trees

1 comment:

  1. Lynne, thank you so much for the notebook cover, I absolutely love it. You should have said about the postage before sending it, I'd have been more than happy to buy the notebook to help keep the costs down, it's great that it fits the A5 books so I'll always be able to easily replace the book.

    I really hope you like what I've sent to you too.

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete