Sunday, 18 April 2010

Ladybirds

I thought it would be nice to take you through my patterns one by one. I'll start with my ladybird bootees.

I love ladybirds, although I'm not sure why. I love to see them in the garden - perhaps I associate them with summer. I was a child in the 1970s, and loved the long hot summers we seemed to have. The days seemed endless as we just went off out on our own until dusk. Parents weren't concerned in those days - we could ride our bikes for miles, walk anywhere or swim for just a few pence. It was a great sense of freedom we had. I vividly recall a ladybird epidemic in the early 1970s. I must have been around 13 as I remember sitting in the Bank Park, Warrington (behind the town hall) after a swimming session with my friend. The grass was like a moving carpet of black and red and ladybirds crawled all over us. They were everywhere, literally thousands of them. You couldn't walk a few steps without one landing on you. It was quite strange. We genuinely thought that the yellow and black one's were poisonous and if they bit you, you could die.....

My cute little ladybird bootees bring back those memories of hot summers and freedom. The come in a range of sizes, from preemie to 12 months. A perfect knit for a new baby.

I listed my patterns in my new esty shop here and I'm starting to list them in my new folksy shop here.

1 comment:

  1. These are so sweet! I especially love the eyes :)

    ReplyDelete